April 8, 2012

Why I'm Pro-Life

It was cold and rainy outside when we returned from lunching with my friend. I always enjoy having scintillating, adult conversation in the middle of a day filled with diaper changes, Sesame Street, and choo-choo trains.

One of the topics that came up in our conversation was an argument she'd recently heard by someone advocating for the right to life of unborn babies with disabilities. It's an argument I've heard, as well.

A few months ago, a fellow mom of a child with WS was shocked and appalled when she learned another lady had aborted (or, more accurately, killed) her unborn child after finding out the baby had Williams syndrome. Our children are such blessings, she argued, they give so much to the world, so why should they be denied a chance at life? If only this mother had known how special and sweet children with Williams syndrome were, she wouldn't have taken the life of her baby.

It's true that Buddy is a blessing to our family. His quick smile, deep belly laugh, enjoyment in pronouncing words like liposuction and avocado, desire to say "hi" to anyone he meets, and saying "I love you. Hug" after a discipline session make my heart happy. I can't imagine life without him.

But Buddy isn't why I'm pro-life. And, although I agree that it's important for people see the positives when raising a child with disabilities, this isn't the line of reasoning I would use when arguing against abortion.

Because what happens when someone like Hitler comes along and decides that children with disabilities aren't blessings but are instead a drain on society and should be eliminated? Or what happens when some takes a look at the life of this little boy and says, "Sure, Tripp was a blessing to his family, but I couldn't stand watching my child go through so much pain and suffering so why should I bring him into the world in the first place"?

Then it becomes a matter of opinion--my opinion that children are a blessing and a differing opinion that says the opposite. Which opinion is right?

No, the argument for giving children with disabilities the right to live is--must be--much broader and bigger than the joy Buddy brings to us and the world.

I am pro-life because this is what God teaches in His Word, the Bible.

I am pro-life because God is the Creator (Genesis 1) and the Giver of life and I am not. I have no right to decide which children live and which die.

I am pro-life because God has created all humans in His image (Genesis 1; Psalm 139:13-14). I have no right to decide which humans have more of that image and are therefore more entitled to live the life God has given them.

I am pro-life because God has decreed that murder (the intentional taking of an "innocent" human life) is wrong (Genesis 9:5-6; Exodus 20:13). Because human life begins at the moment of conception, I have no right to murder a baby--either one growing in the womb or one that continues to grow outside of it--no matter if the child is healthy or has numerous physical and mental problems.
This little boy has it right. All people are image-bearers of God and deserve the right to live the life God created them to live. And that is why I'm pro-life.

No comments:

Post a Comment