April 1, 2012

Setting Goals

Buddy turns three soon, which means he'll be leaving the First Steps program and transitioning into our area's preschool special education program.

On Thursday, we went to the first (of many) IEP (individualized education program) meetings. It went well, in my opinion--although I don't really have any other meetings under my belt by which to judge it. And since this was the first, I considered it more about me learning the ropes of these meetings. (As an interesting aside, when the service coordinator requested Buddy's medical records from the children's hospital, she received them on a CD because there were over 500 pages of records.)

The results of their testing a few weeks ago were in agreement with the results we got from Dr. Mervis's team in Louisville--he's average/low-average in most areas. We really are thrilled that he's doing so well.

I was in agreement with most of the goals for fine motor and language that they had written for him, and the one I disagreed with, they willingly changed. (They wanted him to learn his colors, which he already knows.) I also wanted them to add a few goals for gross motor skills, which they did.

The reason for writing these goals is so that his preschool teacher will know what to work on with him and so that we can work on those same things at home. When I talked with the teacher last week about enrolling him there, she and her aide both seemed to have a good background in special education and speech therapy, and she was planning on learning more about Williams syndrome so that she could be prepared.

I'm looking forward to getting him started and seeing how he does in the classroom (it's a small group with six other typically developing kids).

No comments:

Post a Comment