April 11, 2012

Another try at OT

Delays in fine motor skills are common in those with Williams syndrome. This involves actions such as handwriting, drawing, buttoning, self-feeding, and dressing. So the early intervention services usually include occupational therapy.

Buddy had an OT from the time of his diagnosis (August, 2009) through last May, when our OT left the First Steps program. Sadly, she was the only OT in our area, so we were left without one through the remainder of our time with First Steps. I've come to realize the value of the various therapies he's been involved in and have been frustrated that we've been without an OT for almost a year. Although we definitely work with him on these areas, the OT was helpful in showing us specific activities and actions we can do to help him master the skills he needs to succeed in life.

To be honest, I've felt like I've been letting him down by not getting him the help he needs. And my mind automatically looks toward the future -- how much farther behind will he be in five years because I'm not getting him the help he needs now?

When he transitioned into the the special education division of our school system, he automatically qualified for speech therapy. And we've been continuing that once a week. But for some reason, his service coordinator won't sign him up for OT or even do an evaluation on him to find out if he needs OT (which he still does). I'm not sure why. I've asked about it but keep getting told that it's not possible.

So, even though his preschool teachers have been doing a good job of working with him on the OT goals in his IEP, I've still wanted him (and us) to work with an actual OT. After pursuing a few options that didn't work out, I finally called our local hospital to find out if they offered pediatric OT and was so happy to hear they did. So I signed him up for an evaluation.

The OT confirmed that he's delayed in his fine motor skills and said she was available to start working with him next week. And there was great rejoicing on my part. Here's hoping she's a good OT who will push him (and us) to do what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment