May 31, 2012

Made in His Image, part 7


The Glory of God in Disability and Suffering

I want to spend a few moments talking about what the glory of God looks like in disability and suffering. In some cases, such as the blind man we just talked about, God’s glory is clearly manifested in a big way. God received the glory when Jesus healed the man of his life-long blindness. And when He healed many others throughout His ministry.

But this doesn’t happen to everyone with a disability. God doesn’t physically heal everyone on this present Earth. And not everyone is able to be a shining example to countless millions.

So what does this look like in my situation?

Let me share with you a few quotes from those who have disabilities themselves.

If you’ve ever called to order something from Answers in Genesis, you may have had the privilege of speaking with Kevin, one of our customer service representatives. Kevin is an amazingly cheerful and friendly individual. He knows the AiG products inside and out and will quickly help you choose the products you need. But Kevin was born with cerebral palsy. It affects his legs the most. Kevin is in a lot of pain on an almost daily basis. Something as simple as walking up stairs is difficult and painful for him. I asked Kevin to share with me how he views his cerebral palsy, and he said this:

"I look at having a disability as a blessing allowing me an opportunity to share my faith in ways that someone without a disability may struggle with. Growing up, I knew that God could and would use this for His glory if I allowed him to.
"Having a disability lends itself well when the discussion goes to "Why did God allow this to happen?" It’s been an encouragement to be able to share to others. My disability is a result of sin and the curse, but I am only truly "disabled" if I don’t allow the Lord to use me."


Did you notice how Kevin views his CP? He said it is a blessing. And that he’s been able to use it to share the hope he has. Is God glorified in his attitude and in his willingness to share with others? Absolutely. The glory of God is ultimately about conforming us as individuals to the image of His son and enabling us to share with others.
Listen to this quote by Vicki Anderson. Vicki was born with hypertelorism, which is a facial abnormality. She says
“I don’t really like the phrase ‘birth defect’—it contradicts my theology. A ‘defect’ implies a mistake and I believe that God is sovereign. If he had the power to create the entire universe according to his exact specifications, then my face was certainly no challenge for him!
"If God is loving, why did he deform my face? I don’t know—maybe because with a normal face I would have been robbed of the thousands and thousands of blessings that I have received because of my deformities.
"It seems odd, but usually our greatest trial is what most molds and shapes us. It gives us character, backbone, courage, wisdom, discernment, and friendships that are not shallow.” Vicki Anderson, born with hypertelorism, a facial abnormality. (http://aboutfacenow.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_archive.html,“Hypertelorism,” accessed March 29, 2012)
Did you notice how comfortable Vicki was with accepting that her deformities came from the hand of God? She is glorifying God by submitting to His sovereignty and allowing Him to conform her to the image of His Son through her sufferings.

And now this by Nick Vuijicic. Nick was born without arms and legs.
“Due to the emotional struggles I had experienced with bullying, self-esteem and loneliness, God began to instill a passion of sharing my story and experiences to help others cope with whatever challenge they might have in their lives.
"Turning my struggles into something that would glorify God and bless others, I realized my purpose! The Lord was going to use me to encourage and inspire others to live to their fullest potential and not let anything get in the way of accomplishing their hopes and dreams.
"God’s purpose became clearer to me and now I’m fully convinced and understand that His glory is revealed as He uses me just the way I am. And even more wonderful, He can use me in ways others can’t be used.” (Nick Vujicic,http://www.epm.org/blog/2012/Mar/14/nick-vujicic-he-uses-me-just-way-i-am)
Elsewhere, he says, “If just one more person finds eternal life in Jesus Christ . . . it is all worth it.” (http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/about-nick/)

Nick hasn’t been healed from his disabilities, but he knows that God uses him just the way he is. And that using his situation to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others brings glory to God.

When we allow the disabilities and trials that come our way to increase our faith in God and grow to be more like Jesus, we bring glory to Him. To apply this to my particular situation, when I can encourage a newly diagnosed parent of a child with Williams syndrome in the Lord, I bring glory to God. When I can share with others how I view God in light of Buddy and Williams syndrome, and point them to the Creator and Savior, I bring glory to God.

The great preacher James Montgomery Boice was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2000. When he announced it to his congregation, this is what he said.

“Should you pray for a miracle? Well, you’re free to do that, of course. My general impression is that the God who is able to do miracles—and He certainly can—is also able to keep you from getting the problem in the first place. So although miracles do happen, they’re rare by definition. . . .

"Above all, I would say pray for the glory of God. If you think of God glorifying Himself in history and you say, where in all of history has God most glorified Himself? He did it at the cross of Jesus Christ, and it wasn’t by delivering Jesus from the cross, though He could have. . . . .

“God is in charge. When things like this come into our lives, they are not accidental. It’s not as if God somehow forgot what was going on, and something bad slipped by. . . . God is not only the one who is in charge; God is also good. Everything He does is good. . . . .

"If God does something in your life, would you change it? If you’d change it, you’d make it worse. It wouldn’t be as good.” Pastor James Montgomery Boice. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1452178/posts, Sermon preached on May 7, 2000 at Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA. Accessed March 29, 2012.
Eight weeks after he preached this sermon, he went to be with Jesus. How was God glorified through Dr. Boice’s cancer? He was glorified when Dr. Boice reminded people that God is always good and always sovereign. When he reminded people of who God is and encouraged them by his trust in the sovereign Creator. When, ten years later, we can still learn from and be blessed by his message on God’s sovereignty and goodness.

So let me ask you this: what does the glory of God look like in your life? In your disability? In your sufferings?

 
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11

No comments:

Post a Comment