May 10, 2012

Brushing

I mentioned last week that I'd noticed Buddy was having trouble concentrating and paying attention during circle time at his preschool. After reading the post, my mom (a school teacher) asked some of her fellow teachers for ideas to help him.

The OT at her school suggested getting him a weighted vest for him to wear during the times he needs to concentrate. When I mentioned it to our OT, she suggested purchasing an inexpensive fishing vest and filling the pockets with bean (or rice) bags. So I checked on ebay, found a cute one I think might work, and ordered it. I'm hoping it will be here within the next day or two.

When I mentioned the weighted vest idea to Buddy's preschool teacher, she readily agreed that it would be helpful for him (she's taught children with special needs for 20 years) and suggested that a "wiggle disc" might help, too. So, I purchased two of those (one for school and one for home), and they arrived today. We'll see how he likes them.


This morning, our OT mentioned that she had another technique that she's used in the past with other children: "therapeutic brushing." At the WS conference we attended in 2010, I heard several of the lecturers mention brushing but since Buddy doesn't really have too many sensory issues (which is what the brushing is supposed to treat), I hadn't pursued it any further.

Our OT said that brushing is also good for developing focus and concentration. So she gave me a brush and showed me what to do.
He didn't seem to mind it -- he likes having his back scratched. I'm supposed to do it 3-4 times a day for two weeks and see if we notice any difference. Now I'm wondering, however, if I should hold off on using the vest and the wiggle disk so that we don't skew the results of this "experiment."

No comments:

Post a Comment