March 28, 2012

They call him The Count



At the yearly evaluation a few weeks ago, one of the questions the therapists asked, to gauge Buddy's cognitive ability, was "Does he understand the concept of one?" Although he's been able to say the numbers 1-10, I wasn't sure he understood what one of something was, so I answered in the negative. However, the very next day, he came to me and said, "Two brushes," and sure enough, he was holding two brushes (two of my make-up brushes, but never mind that part).

Many of the questions they asked weren't really things I had thought about before and didn't really know how to answer, and I think I sold him short in several areas. It would have been helpful to have their checklist before they came so that I could think over the questions and topics (although I also understand that giving parents the checklist would probably skew their data in other ways).

At any rate, he's started counting things (a la Count von Count from Sesame Street) and especially enjoys imitating the "ha, ha, ha" laugh that the Count (and his daddy) does.

No comments:

Post a Comment