February 19, 2012

Cardiology appointment

Buddy's service coordinator came today so that we can get started with the therapy sessions. She gave us a copy of the review the therapists did last week, and we set some goals for Buddy to accomplish within the next six months (Husband mandated that he be able to play football and speak in complete sentences) and chose an occupational therapist who will meet with us for an hour each week to help us accomplish those goals. We're set to begin sometime within the next few weeks.

After the coordinator left, I made some Jello. I've been under general anesthesia twice (there's a connection between this and the Jello -- trust me). Once in high school when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. (Immediately after that, I had to read Crime and Punishment for an English assignment--talk about being in pain.)

The second time was after I had Buddy yanked from my abdomen. I'd obviously had an epidural for the C-section, but after he was taken out and they were stitching me up, for some reason, I felt the need to move my legs, and I began to squirm on the operation table. Obviously not the best thing to do when a doctor has a needle in her hand. So the anesthesiologist (who was wearing a Steelers bandana in Husband's honor) put me under for about 10 minutes. When I woke up as I was being wheeled back to our room, I uttered these prophetic words, "I think I fell asleep for a bit." Husband just patted my hand.

At any rate, in his 10 (soon to be 11) short months, Buddy has also been sedated twice. And tomorrow will make the third time. He has another echocardiogram on his heart at 1 pm (to check if the aortic stenosis is progressing) and isn't allowed to eat anything (including formula) for 6 hours before the sedation. He is, however, allowed to have "clear liquids," which includes Jello, until 2 hours before he goes under. Since he doesn't like Pedialyte or broth, I thought I'd give the Jello a try and see if that keeps him satisfied. We shall see if he prefers "blue" or apricot -- or neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment