February 21, 2012

Blame Drew's Cancer

I'm not sure what to write about today. And I blame my writer's block on Williams Syndrome. Yesterday, I stumbled upon the BlameDrewsCancer--a site by a guy named Drew who found out ealier this year that he has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. In attemping to beat up on the cancer before it beat up on him, he started blaming everything on his cancer, and he invited others to do the same.
Lately, I've found myself doing the same thing -- not blaming Drew's cancer (although I may join the crowd--it's a handy excuse) -- but blaming things on Buddy's Williams Syndrome. He's not sleeping well? Blame WS. He takes forever to eat? Blame WS. He cries when we turn the mixer on? Blame WS. He doesn't consistently bring fingerfoods to his mouth? Blame WS. (It couldn't possibly be the fault of his mother who didn't want him to get food everywhere when he ate and so tried to keep his hands down by his sides as much as possible for quite some time.)

Although, obviously, some things can legitmately be blamed on his syndrome, it's difficult to know how much to blame on it. I don't want to blame so much on it that we don't require or expect enough of him; yet I also don't want to expect too much that he simply isn't capable of doing and end up frustrating us all. It's a fine line to walk--a line I'm sure we'll be figuring out how to walk on for many years to come. In the meantime, I'll just blame Drew's cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment