February 20, 2012

"At least it's not . . ."

There's a lot of sadness in hospitals, and as I watch the mother wheeling her baby attached to an oxygen machine or see a child with his bald head covered in a scarf, it's tempting for me to think, "Well, at least Buddy's not (fill in the blank)." Or "I'm thankful Buddy doesn't have (fill in the blank)." As if, if he did have (fill in the blank), I wouldn't be able to bear it.

However, I don't believe this is a beneficial -- or biblical -- response to the situations I find myself in . . . for several reasons.

1. It denies the sufficiency of God's grace. God's grace is sufficient for every situation we're in--if Buddy were (fill in the blank), we would have the grace and strength to deal with it. As it is, God sheds His mercy on us every day, enabling us to deal with whatever needs to be dealt with.

2. It diminishes the value of the person who has (fill in the blank). Imagine hearing someone say, "Well, I'm thankful, at least, that my child isn't like (insert your name here)." Each person is an image-bearer of the Creator, and although that image is now marred by the curse of sin, we still retain the fingerprint of God in our lives. All of His children are precious in His sight. And we all stand before Him equally in need of His loving salvation.

3. It's not a very comforting thing to say--or think--anyway. Imagine that you're a person with (fill in the blank). How do I comfort this person? "Well, at least you're not ___." And then that person? . . . What about the last person at the bottom of the heap? How do I comfort them?

4. Proverbs 14:10 is true. Each heart knows its own bitterness. While I can sympathize, and even empathize, with someone else's pain, I can't truly know what they're going through. And thinking or saying this only serves to show that I know nothing of God's grace.

5. My response has already been determined by God: "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). I don't believe this means "find something to be thankful for in all circumstances," but instead that I am, in fact, to give thanks for each circumstance because it is God's will for me. Although God isn't the cause of the trials I face (my sin in Adam began that string of happenings), He is sovereign over His creation and ordains what comes to pass. In the midst of my grief, I am to joyfully give thanks for what He has brought about: "Thank you, Lord, that Kieran has Williams Syndrome. May we use this to bring You glory and to manifest Your grace and mercy."

Do you agree? Disagree? Remain indifferent? I invite your thoughts.

Now that I'm done pontificating, I'll let you know that the doctor was pleased with the results of Buddy's echocardiogram and says we are to continue doing what we do. He wants to schedule another one in six months, but at this point, isn't overly concerned about the supravalvular aortic stenosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment