July 17, 2012

Interview with Lora

Lora is a friend I met via Facebook. She's a 48-year-old woman with Williams syndrome who has been married for 20 years. She's been an inspiration and encouragement to me and I wanted to share her story with you. With her permission, I'm sharing a chat session we had the other night. I'm hoping to have many more with her. If you have a question you'd like Lora to answer, leave a comment and we'll post her answer!

How old were you when you got your diagnosis of WS?

I was 6 years old.

When you talk to parents of children with WS, what do you like to tell them?

That it's so important not to hold them back

In what ways?

In all ways. A person with ws should be looked at as a prison not as some one who can't do any thing.

I want propel to see what we are made of don't tell you child you can't do this tell them thy can.

ive had a very ruff life but at the same time ive learned a lot to a bout who i am what i am

So, how do you see yourself? How do you describe yourself?

i see my self as a strong woman with ws

can i ask you someing

Sure.

is it hard for you

Hard for me to be the parent of a child with WS?

yes

i dont get to talk with prants with child with ws i wish i could talk more to them

Hmmm. The hard parts for me are seeing the struggles that my son has and wishing things would be easier for him, hoping that he doesn't get teased for being different as he grows up and goes through school, and, in the beginning before we got his diagnosis, wondering why he was having so many physical difficulties and not knowing the answers. It can be difficult to keep up with all the therapy and doctor appointments and intentionally spend time with him teaching him how to do things that come naturally to other children, but he has also brought so much into our lives that we wouldn't have if we weren't on this journey. And, most importantly, God has been good in giving us the grace and mercy we need as we parent him-- and in that respect, it's not "hard" being his mother -- it's a joy.

amen. this may sound funny but i think if you put any kind of child with a hadicampped im a home it will chang lifes for ever

that is for sure -- it definitely starts you a journey that you didn't expect to be on.

true

So, which of the physical aspects of WS have you had to deal with? Any heart problems?

yes. when i was little. no heart surgeries. i been blessed with that.

Any other physical problems?

not that i know of.
mom says i didnt start walking tell i was a little older.

What kinds of things have you gotten involved with as an adult?

i been to 3 conffcers
i vontteer for our hospice

What do you do for hospice?

i help with a lot of diffent things we have a group that gos to nurseing homes and we read to them i back cookies and do other things

i al so vontter for our art museum
i greet peopel as they come in love it

Can you tell me about how you met and married your husband Mark?

 i was a gretter at a fast food restaurant he was a ranch hand he would come in and sit in the middel of the restaurant

he was so shy it was sweet

we dint talk to eachother much

you know when the right man come in to your life at the right tim
i was going to a singles group just to fime a friend
he walked in to one i was at i al most fell out of my chair
i was working for charch fried chiken
he looked at me and sied your the chiken lady
lol
we started to talk a bout diffent things
then my friend who drove me there was geting ready to leave i thought
if i dont talk more to this guy i want get to again
so i told her ill fine some one to take me home
guess who i asked to take me home lol
so he took me home
telling my mom that i was in love was hared for me
i dint know my own feelings for this guy was to be honst i was scared to deith
our frist deat was on one of the ranchs he worked on
im a city girl here i am in the boonies
with goats and other things i never saw be for
it took me a few moths to trust him
so after a few moth deating i knoew i was in love
i asked him to marry me

Wow!

then we heared my aunt was very sick had to go see her
you talk a bout god puting me throw a test
my aunt had cancer i dint know a bout it
my aunt is stll alive healed of cancer
here i am now 48 been married 20 years

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment